Volunteering at KMC Arizona
|Come and find out about volunteering at a Kadampa Buddhist Temple – a non-profit charity working for world peace. It’s fun and incredibly meaningful!|
There are many different volunteer tasks available, depending on your ability, schedule and interest. You are welcome to volunteer as much or as little as you wish with no long-term commitment required. Any amount of help would be greatly appreciated.
Since our organization is dedicated to the happiness and welfare of all living beings, the benefits of this program are limitless. You can choose to volunteer in any of the areas described below. Detailed descriptions available at the Center – please ask.
Volunteer Opportunities ongoing (See one-time tasks at the bottom) If someone is now doing the job, we can often move people around or divide up the tasks.
- Shrine Offerings Once a week – about 45 minutes – Any time outside sessions. Instructions & training provided
- Meditation Room Cleaning Once a week – about 45 minutes – Any time outside session. Vacuum, dust shrine, statues & other surfaces. Water plants in meditation room.
- Monitor & Replenish daily offering supplies As needed. Check weekly and purchase supplies. You will be trained & reimbursed.
- Purchase offerings for Protector Day puja 29th of each month or for Sunday Wishfulfilling Jewel. Shop & deliver between one day and one hour before puja. You will be trained and reimbursed.
- Tsog puja set up & clean up Either on the 10th, 25th or 29th each month, or on Sundays for Wishfulfilling Jewel. Arrive one hour before puja. Takes about 30-45 minutes. Training provided
- Receptionist for classes Weekly for Sunday “Advice for Life” or Thursday GP class. Arrive 30 minutes early and about 30 minutes after class.
- Coffee Bar “Barrista” Sunday “Advice for Life” (backup) or Thursday GP class (manager). Arrive 30 minutes early and about 30 minutes after class. Make coffees & paninis. Sell snacks.
- “Buddy” Sunday “Advice for Life” or Thursday GP class. Arrive 30 minutes early and about 30 minutes after class. Identify and make connection with new people.
- Room set up Sunday “Advice for Life” or Thursday GP class. Arrive 30 minutes early. Set up teacher area & seating. Put out booklets & PR.
- Landscape Coordinator Every two weeks. Do or oversee weeding, planting, watering (except patio). Check drip system.
- Weeding Every two weeks. Pull or spray any weeds – front and back.
- Watering trees Every two weeks. Water mesquite trees, palo verde tree, and loose Mexican bird of paradise.
- Prepare & print monthly calendar End of each month, then as needed at front desk. Always check for any changes before printing.
- Mailing list maintenance About one hour weekly. Input new registration cards into Vertical Response & eScrip.
- Publicity Design Ongoing – average three to four projects per month. Graphic design skills preferred. Can do at home or at center.
- Publicity distribution As much time as little as you wish. Deliver/ post flyers at business locations around town. Lists & supplies provided.
- Welfare committee coordinator As needed. Be aware of community members in need, ill, grieving. Recommend actions and follow through on things like visits, flowers, help.
- Front desk supply maintenance As needed, about twice a month. Print necessary forms, maintain Welcome packets, organize front desk.
- Web site maintenance Ongoing – average four hours per month. Update web pages as needed. Design new pages. We use WordPress.
- eNewsletter editor Weekly, about one hour. Use Vertical Response & WordPress to put out a weekly newsletter each Friday. Computer skills needed. We can train in the programs.
- Coordinate bookstore/public talks Plan two events per quarter. Coordinate dates with RT. Find venues. Liaison with venue staff and follow up on organizational details.
- Deliver flyers to poster service One hour – end of each month to FedEx store – Prince and Campbell.
- eScrip coordinator – About one hour per month. Promote the eScrip program. Renew the list of subscribers when they expire each year. Promote & arrange shipping of used cell phones, ink cartridges, etc.
- Bookstore manager About two hours per week. Handle bookstore orders, marketing displays. Clean shelving
- Community room cleaning One hour per week and as needed in between. Clean floors, dusting, clean counters & coffee bar. Empty trash & recycling. Organize cabinets & drawers as needed.
- Kids’ room cleaning One hour per week and as needed in between. Clean floors, dusting, clean counters & refrigerator. Empty trash.
- Office cleaning One hour per week and as needed in between. Vacuum floors, dust, empty trash & recycling.
- Provide fresh flowers for shrine As desired, according to your wish to give. Donate, pick up & arrange.
- Publicity distribution coordinator Monthly. Maintain list of distribution points. Regularly encourage people to take and put out publicity. Work to improve system.
- Mantra rolling Ongoing – whenever you have time. Learn to roll mantras (sacred prayers) to fill Buddha statues.
- Sewing Ongoing – whenever you have time. Need cushions, mats, bookcovers. We have a machine at the center if you don’t have one at home.
- Retreat coordinator You can volunteer for one or all retreats. Set up room, handle sound, greet newcomers, put out sadhanas, arrange shrine for Deity retreats. Arrive one hour before first session and at least 15 minutes before subsequent sessions.
Volunteer Opportunities One-time:
- Coordinator – Tucson Meet Yourself Three days in October, plus advance planning. Submit application, plan activities, solicit volunteers. Arrange set up and take down of booth. Oversee the weekend events.
- Coordinator – Tucson Peace Fair One Saturday in February, plus advance planning. Submit application, plan activities, solicit volunteers. Arrange set up and take down of booth. Oversee the weekend events.
- Plane door edge Meditation room right closet. Touch up paint.
- Fix pigeon wire on roof AC units We have the wire & ladder. Also have liquid nails to apply. Need to cover the available spots where pigeons roost.
- Re-attach/tighten return vents in meditation room. Description: one is hanging loose and one seems to have a rattle when the fans are on.
- Patch ceiling and other holes in back closet The ceiling holes continually drop insulation materials and other junk into the room. The holes all around make that area very cold.
Volunteer Coordinator: Stephan Hlohowskyj